Saturday, January 24, 2009

A Helping Hand


It always amazes me the lengths people go to help one another. I firmly believe in the innate goodness of the human spirit. Most prominently, I have experienced such goodness from my boss. I currently work in the box office for a theater company as a part of my communications internship. I love having the opportunity to learn about marketing as well as handle administrative tasks. My degree is in directing, so clearly I am excited to get any job in the theater world.

Well...my boss knows my love for directing and went out of her way to contact the director for "Moon for the Misbegotten" back in early December. She asked him if he would be open to having me come into rehearsals. She wanted me to shadow him so that I could see what it was like to be a director in a regional theater setting. The director agreed and so I was very privileged to sit in on his rehearsals. The director was amazing - he always talked with me about why he did certain things and how to handle other situations. I learned so much from this opportunity! I also loved every second of being a part of a production again. I did not realize how much I missed it. As much as I love handling ticket sales and marketing our shows, I absolutely love being there in the action of the rehearsals!

The fact that my boss contacted the director and made such a request just goes to show that people who work in the theater all believe and support each other. I am forever grateful for her willingness to aid in my continual learning process.

1 comment:

Tina said...

It's not just about people being good to one another- it's about karma too. You totally deserve all the happiness and opportunities coming your way.