Tuesday, November 25, 2008

A Thankful Heart


The beautiful holiday of Thanksgiving is quickly approaching...it's 2 days away! I wanted to invite those of you who are reading this to prepare yourself for this holiday by reflecting. Reflect on what it is in your life that gets you out of your bed everyday. Take time to really and truly count your blessings. Meditate on where you are going in your life and the steps you are taking to pursue personal happiness. Make sure you say "thank you" a lot this season. Honestly, we do have a lot to be thankful for... what are you thankful for? Why are you grateful? Take time this holiday season to let people know how much they mean to you...thank them, hug them, call them, give them a gift, take them out, ...make sure you shower them with kindness. Gather around close family and friends, neighbors and co-workers. No one should be alone this Thanksgiving. Extend an invitation for people to come over to your house. And make sure you bring things to share if you have been invited to a friend's home. This is the time to share in the love that is Thanksgiving.

I too need to reflect on my blessings and what I am thankful for. I am thankful for every new day. I am thankful for my parents, who not only love me but are also very supportive and keep the artist in me alive. My job is great. It offers a creative environment where I can explore non-profit theater. My co-workers are friendly and supportive. My family and friends are my life support. I have people in my life who are there for me at any hour of the day at any time of the year and they are so close to me that I have adopted them as family. God knew what He was doing when he put these wonderful people in my life. His graces bless me everyday. For all of this I am grateful. I consider myself very lucky to have the family and friends I have been blessed with. I have a college education and a job in an area that I am passionate about. I have rough times too but they do not compare to the countless hours in which I know that I am loved and cared for. Everyone has a purpose. We are all here for a reason.


I know that there are people around the world who are struggling and I pray that they will find peace this holiday. It is important to know that the season of "giving" also means giving of yourself. I know that financial times are not what they have always been, but some how we have to get through this. Even if it is a small contribution, please consider donating to the less fortunate this year. Even if it is to only one organization, your donation will go a long way. When you give to a charity, you tend to be a little happier and your smile is a little brighter. I know my heart is always warmed after I make a donation.

From my heart to yours - Have a blessed Thanksgiving!

No comments: