Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Role of a Life Time


It is always around this time of year when I remember one of my first "play" experiences. My church was going to showcase the Nativity scene during Christmas Eve mass. I was about ten years old at the time and some of my friends and I were going to the church to "audition." I was hoping to be an angel. I remember all of the kids who came lined up and a woman walked up and down the line picking out certain children for each part. She walked by me and looked at me for a moment. She then asked me, "Who would you like to be in the play?" I repeated to her my hope to be an angel. She smiled and said, "My dear, you are going to be Mary." What? I could not even believe it. Me? Why? I had little time to ask questions. She then showed me where to go and what to do for the scene. I then remember walking down the church aisle with the little boy playing Joseph. I had my Mary outfit and he was dressed for the part of Joseph. I was nervous as I carried my little Cabbage Patch doll with me. He was the only baby boy doll I had. Yes...Jesus was played by my Cabbage Patch doll, Rufus. My mom still finds that funny to this day.

Looking back, I realize how special that moment truly was for me. I wanted to be an angel because I knew that I could never be Mary. But God had another plan to show me that I could. It is a life lesson I continue to struggle with. I need to work on not selling myself short. In life, all of us have to work towards our ideal versions of ourselves. Never settle. Never. Keep pushing yourself to do better. Always. I may have only been ten when I played Mary, but it was a role of a life time.

No comments: