Monday, February 20, 2012

Appreciate Art & Beauty (Day 6/100)

My roommate/dear friend & I walked over to The National Portrait Gallery this afternoon.  It was such a delightful walk and a glorious day.  Even though it was a bit brisk at times, it was still practically perfect.  I very much enjoy the Portrait Gallery because of its vast amount of art and the variety that is showcased.  Plus, it has exhibits that rotate - so really you are able to see new works and yet have the comfort of knowing certain favorites will always be there. 

For example, two of my absolute favorites:

The Great Picture By: Albert Bierstadt

Aurora Borealis By: Frederic Edwin Church

Both of these paintings are of landscapes - but appear to encompass so much more.  It is the colors and the way the paintings appear to illuminate from within.  Their beauty radiates of the canvas.  I enjoy being outside and find myself intensely conntected with serene landscapes.  I am often struck by the beauty of mountains, the ocean and the stars.   

It is a joy to be able to go to a museum - a free museum - and spend time just "being" around art.  I know now that when I need inspiration for another play or the like, I will walk over to the gallery and just spend hours in the view of these. 

Day 6 - I am grateful for museums, this beautiful day, my roommate/dear friend & to live within walking distance of art. 

No comments: